What do I do if I smell gas?
Discover what to do if you detect a gas leak in your home with these simple steps and helpful guidance.
- If you smell gas in your home, turn the gas off at the meter.
- You’ll need to turn your control valve until you can’t turn it anymore.
- If you live in a flat, you may have an additional emergency control valve, which needs to be turned off. You’ll need to turn the handle, so it’s across the pipe work.
- Once you’ve turned your gas off at your meter, call Southern Gas Networks on 0800 111 999.
- You’ll need to open your windows and doors, not use any electrical switches and leave the property immediately until they arrive.
- Make sure to avoid naked flames from lighters/matches
- Their engineer will check the safety of your gas supply and appliances.
- If Southern Gas Networks think repair work is needed to any internal appliances or pipework, you’ll need to call us on 0800 652 0898. We’ll send a gas engineer to make your home safe again.
We’ve popped together a short video for helpful advice on what to do if you smell gas in your home: